Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Hair around nipples

 zephyr1985 - Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 am

I am 23 years old and I have had this problem for as long as I can remember. I am afraid of telling this to anyone in my family and am definitely not able to gain the courage to go visit a doctor. The problem is that I have really long hair that grows around my nipples. I have been using a tweezer to pluck them. But now I am really concerned and want to get rid of them permanently. Also, my periods are not regular. Till date I have been unable to chart out my menstrual cycle; the only thing that I am sure of is that they last 7 days. I am dead scared of getting a pelvic exam done cause I think the doctor will tell me that I am not normal down there cause of the appearance of my genitals. Can you please tell me what could be the reason of the hair growth and should I consult a gynecologist or some other doctor.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is very common and not significant for a problem. You can have laser hair removal or see a doctor about checking your hormone levels to see if you have excessive androgens - again this can be very common. Plucking is no problem, shaving is also acceptable but I understand your concerns. Hormones my help but this would need to be evaluated so you need to see a doctor - gynecologist or endocrinologist perhaps. If you are more comfortable with a female, do that, but you don't need to worry. You would be surprised how many young women struggle with this issue. Often as you get older the problem may change as hormones do but for now, try cosmetic methods of hair removal and try to realize it does not mean you will have any other sexual or reproductive problems.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us