Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Hair around nipples

zephyr1985 - Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 am

I am 23 years old and I have had this problem for as long as I can remember. I am afraid of telling this to anyone in my family and am definitely not able to gain the courage to go visit a doctor. The problem is that I have really long hair that grows around my nipples. I have been using a tweezer to pluck them. But now I am really concerned and want to get rid of them permanently. Also, my periods are not regular. Till date I have been unable to chart out my menstrual cycle; the only thing that I am sure of is that they last 7 days. I am dead scared of getting a pelvic exam done cause I think the doctor will tell me that I am not normal down there cause of the appearance of my genitals. Can you please tell me what could be the reason of the hair growth and should I consult a gynecologist or some other doctor.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

This is very common and not significant for a problem. You can have laser hair removal or see a doctor about checking your hormone levels to see if you have excessive androgens - again this can be very common. Plucking is no problem, shaving is also acceptable but I understand your concerns. Hormones my help but this would need to be evaluated so you need to see a doctor - gynecologist or endocrinologist perhaps. If you are more comfortable with a female, do that, but you don't need to worry. You would be surprised how many young women struggle with this issue. Often as you get older the problem may change as hormones do but for now, try cosmetic methods of hair removal and try to realize it does not mean you will have any other sexual or reproductive problems.