Forum Name: Fertility

Question: trying to concieve after miscarriage

femail105 - Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:21 am

hi there
i had a miscarriage in sept 2007 i ended up bleeding heavily and ended up going into hospital and having a D&C. since this happened me and my partner have been trying again but no look so far

i havent been to my doctor yet as i think she will just say your only young leave it longer as im only 21.

is there any tests i can have done to check that there isnt any underlying things that can be stoppping me from getting pregnant.
me and my partner have regular unprotected sex.i have even tried doing ovulation tests but had to stop as was costing me a fortune as i have slight irregular periods too.

can anyone give me some advice please!!!!

thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Even though you are young, typically a woman who is sexually active without using contraception achieves pregnancy within about a year, so I don't think a doctor will brush off your concern now. There are tests to determine if you are ovulating. This is called secondary infertility, when you have conceived in the past but are unable to conceive again. That does not mean you will not still become pregnant. It often takes couples longer than this and they may be pleasantly surprised one day when it happens spontaneously. But, if you are not ovulating, there is medication for ovulation stimulation, such as Clomid. This should only be used under the direction of a physician. You may even wish to see a fertility specialist about this. Secondary infertility accounts for approximately 60% of fertility problems. Things can happen between the first pregnancy and subsequent pregnancies.

In the meantime it is wise to be sure you are in the best physical condition possible. You should eat healthy foods, including a multiple vitamin,exercise regularly and lose excess weight if you have this concern. If you have any unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking or using recreational drugs, this would be the time to make these changes.

With support from your doctor, I suspect you will be successful.