Question: LONG TERM effect of mastubation....oligospermia

Going_In_Circles - Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:30 pm

i am 29 year old young man. my problem is that i am addicted to masturbation, since puberty. That is about 19 years now !!! I tried to quite a million times, but never managed. Afterall i became careless about it's dangers because everybody keeps saying masturbation is harmless. So i was satisfied to masturbate once a week or slightly longer ( once every 10-14 days). That is of total of about 2500 times with a loss of 10 millions of sperm cells per year of masturbation on this rate.

To my surprise, i did a spemen analysis few moths ago, and it says that i have 12millions/mm (out of 200 millions), i mean it says that i have oligospermia.

The lap technitian told me that i have to avoid all causes to ejaculation for about 8 months or more, so that my sperm count to improve.

My questions are;

1- Is it true that my oligospermia is reversible? according to what the lap technitian said. i.e. by avoiding ejaculation for some time?

2- does masturbation on long term practice cause oligospermia? IS there any study about the long term of masturbation. Any study that proves that masturbation is not related as possible cause?

3- is it possible to father a child when i am with oligospermia? what are my chances?

I hope to get my answers from a specialist, as i need to read articles about this.
Thank you for reading.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:13 pm

To get directly to your three questions, here we go:

1) Oligospermia is generally reversible if caused by a simple expenditure of sperm, for instance due to masturbation.

2) Masturbation will cause oligospermia in direct proportion to the duration and frequency of masturbation, but if the practice is suspended most often the condition will correct itself. Masturbation, in and of itself, will only cause temporary oligospermia.

3) Yes, it is possible to father a child when afflicted with oligospermia. It make take more trying than usual, but the whole process is rather random anyway, and again, your particular case is probably just a temporary problem (if it can be seen as a problem at all).

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.