Forum Name: Fertility

Question: 40 day cycle - less chances of getting pregnant?

RHWJH - Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 am

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and my cycles are around 41 days (between 40 and 43 days). Now I'm wondering if this means something is wrong with me? I find lots of different "answers" online, some websites say that lots of women have long cycles and that nothing is wrong with that, while other websites advise to contact your doctor if your cycle is longer than 40 days...? Can you please tell me whether or not a 41 day cycle means I'm less fertile? I did pay attention to my discharge this last cycle and did notice a clear stretchy discharge which (in hindsight) occurred 14 days prior to my period, does this indicate I do in fact ovulate? I'm really worried about this...
Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:46 am

Yes, while 28 days is average, your cycle is within the normal range. You just ovulate on a different schedule. It is important to know your cycle length in determining your estimated due date since you would not necessarily ovulate at day 14, but as you noted, you likely did ovulate 14 days prior to your period - perfectly normal. Obviously if you had become pregnant, dating by your prior period would give you a little earlier date. Ultrasound dating helps verify in these cases so don't worry.

RHWJH - Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply :)
I had read scary messages on other fora regarding long cycles, some people wrote that a "delayed ovulation" would mean that the egg was aged too much to be fertilized. So this is not the case?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:44 pm

User avatar No, that is not correct.

Thanks for your questions.
 sunburst - Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 pm

I have had a long cycle to and Am wondring what to do me and my husband have been trying to have children but my cycle is always on. What cause that?