Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Orgasm before Erection

 just_sham - Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:47 pm

I am 22 years old male. I am facing a serious problem regarding erection. Whenever I try to have sex with my girlfriend I get orgasm (discharge semen) before getting erection. This thing really embarrasses me. If I do not go for P to V sex I can save myself from orgasm while doing anything else in sex. But whenever I start rubbing my penis (without erection) I got orgasm before getting erection. Because of this problem I could not enter my penis into my girlfriend’s vagina. I and my girlfriend do not get a single second of P to V sex pleasure.
I get comparatively better erection while masturbation. but I get orgasm in just a few seconds while masturbation. Please tell me what is wrong with me.? I am just 22 and unmarried, I am facing this problem. I am worried what will happen in future. Please tell what should I do to overcome this problem to make my present and future life good in sexual relationship.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 27, 2009 4:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
This condition is called premature ejaculation, a common sexual complaint by as many as one in three men at some time in their life.

The cause can be either psychological or biological (or a combination). It is both common and treatable with medication, psychological counseling and education in techniques.

You should talk to a doctor - family practice or urologist - who can instruct you in techniques and treatment.

Sometimes antidepressants help since a common side effect is the negative impact it can have on sexual activity. So, in this case it is used for the side effects, a common practice with medications. Topical anesthetic creams like lidocaine or prilocaine can sometimes help too. In some cases the partners have also had a decrease in sensation so it's not perfect.

Psychotherapy often includes both partners and possibly a sex therapist who sometimes can assist with psychological issues surrounding the relationship.

There is also a "squeeze" technique that may help. In this, your partner sqeezes the end of your penis, where the glans joins the shaft. Maintain until the urge to ejaculate passes. After the squeeze is released, wait for about 30 seconds, then go back to your usual foreplay and sexual activity. The erection usually returns once activity is resumed. This can be repeated if necessary and eventually you can learn to delay the ejaculation.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us