Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: PCOS brown discharge and abdominal pain

Jen-Jan - Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi. I’m 19 years old and have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. I’m currently on birth control pills and Metformin. My last two periods have been nothing but brown discharge, and I’m concerned. I've had brown periods before, but eventually they become normal, which has not happened the last two times. I understand that the brown is old blood, but why would this be all that’s appeared in the last two months? I've also been experiencing a slight pain in my lower left abdomen, could this be a cyst?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
Menstrual irregularities are quite common in all women at times. Old blood is nothing to worry about. Of course you could have a cyst and many women have these - sometime with symptoms; sometimes without. I would just do watchful waiting to see if things correct themselves in a few months. Chances are it is hormonal fluctuation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us