Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Is asexuality a medical or psychological condition?

misskimunication - Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 am

I am a 21 year old female, wondering if asexuality is something acknowledged by the medical establishment as something natural, or if it more typically raises red flags for medical or psychological problems?

I am 21, and have never had a boyfriend or a real sexual relationship. I feel not only lack of interest in sexual relations with other people, but even strong aversion at times, especially as people get closer to me. I do feel attraction to both males and females, but think it may not even be sexual attraction, since I have no desire to have sex with these people.

I am wondering if I may have a hormonal imbalance that causes this, although it is not a sudden onset- I have been like this my whole life. Is there something wrong,or am I part of some unfortunate small percent of people who will never feel sexual attraction, but otherwise healthy?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:50 pm

User avatar Hello,
Libido and interest in sex varies greatly from one person to another and how you feel now does not necessarily predict your future. Most people do best when they are in a committed, monogamous relationship, such as marriage. Casual sex is overrated and low sexual desire is very common, especially in women. The emotional factor in a relationship with someone you truly love drives the sexual interest for most women. It is not merely physical, but a combination of the physical and emotional.

Give yourself time and meanwhile, don't focus on sex. Just because the media portrays it as the number one activity of life, it really is not that way for most people. When it's right for you, I suspect your feelings will catch up. If you read about women and sexuality you will probably find that this is very common. Also, you will learn that women reach their sexual peak in their 30s or beyond, though men in the 20s.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us