Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Post pill ovulation

elijah07022008 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:18 pm

I was wondering how long it could take to ovulate again if I was on Aviane for two and a half months? I don't know if length of use could contribute to length of "recovery" time. I stopped taking it four days ago and started to bleed two days later, my husband and I had unprotected sex, and I don't think I am pregnant given the results of my web searching, but I am bleeding more than I did while on the pill, I did stop mid-cycle, and I know I probably just messed up my ovulating when it does come back...any advice on promoting ovulation or anything to help me get pregnant sooner would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
Oral contraceptives can affect your periods as well as ovulation patterns but I would not be too concerned. Some people ovulate very soon after going off the pill; others take a few months. Either is considered a normal response to the cessation of the drug. Most likely this is the reason for your bleeding and this will probably slow down and a pattern will resume, however, pregnancy could occur before things have become regular. This doesn't matter since pregnancy dating can be confirmed by ultrasound.

Meanwhile, be sure to take a multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg of folate or folic acid.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us