Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: can the depo make me infertile?

 Ilu_amandalynn - Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 pm

I recently got off the depo shot and im worried that i am no longer fertile.Me and my fiance have been trying since i got off the depo which was in november 08.I also have not had a period since before i was put on the shot and didnt know if that could possibly be the problem??IM only 20 and i already have an almost 4 year old son.please..i need some sort of answer
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
Infertility is not a reported complication of depo though it is impossible to say how any individual will respond to this kind of hormonal manipulation. But it can take a little while for your cycles to resume normally and ovulation to resume. It is also considered normal for it to take up to a year to become pregnant when you are fertile and actively trying. Fertility testing isn't even recommended until you have tried for a year without success, since 85% become pregnant in this time frame. Of the other 15% many will become pregnant within the next year or so. Patience is in order here. Sometimes we think we should have complete control over these things, but in truth, there is a bit of luck involved in the complex process of conception and pregnancy.

You should be sure you are having sex regularly if conception is your goal, especially since you don't know exactly when you will ovulate.
Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us