Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Vaginal sore

Karissa1977 - Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:50 pm

I am 27 years old. About 1 week ago I was having some vaginal irritation, and I thought that I had just scratched myself. Then, last Friday my inguinal lymph nodes started swelling and getting sore, so I got a mirror and looked at my vaginal area, there appeared to be what looked like a canker sore (just like what you get in your mouth). So, on Sunday there seemed to be another sore near my rectum. I went to an Urgent Care clinic and the doctor told me that I had a yeast infection and vaginal and rectal fissures which had became infected causing my lymph nodes to swell. He said it did not look like herpes, He gave me Keflex 500mg four times daily, diflucan, Terazol-7 and Bactroban cream to use. I have been using all this for 4 days and I am not much better, and now there is at least 3-4 more of these small canker sore looking sores......PLEASE HELP....I am in pain everytime I urinate, wipe, or have a bowel movement.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:50 pm

Hello Karissa,

I am sorry to hear that you are in pain despite treatment and I know how painful it could be. For that reason, I want you to report as soon as possible to a genitourinary clinic for re-evaluation (and change of treatment if my suspicions are proved correct).

Your symptoms are very suggestive of genital herpes simplex, not candidiasis.
For that reason, you have not responded to treatments prescribed for candidiasis and secondary bacterial infection.

*You have the classical signs of primary genital herpes infection :
*irritation
*grouped and painful lesions on your vulvar and anal region. The lesions may present as ulcers, abrasions, or fissures
*enlarged and tender inguinal lymph nodes
*pain on urination or defaecation

Vulvovaginal candidiasis does not cause lymph node swelling.

Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease and the presence of one STD raises the possibility of another. Therefore, a full screen for STDs and partner notification may become necessary if the diagnosis is confirmed. Please keep me posted on this site or to my private box for further advice.

Thank you for contacting this website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine