Forum Name: Fertility

Question: how effective are EPT

C_K_Baby - Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 pm

My last period was 13th march 2009 and i have a regular 28 day cycle with 5 days on period. during the week beggining 23rd march me and my partner had sex every day until 29th. Now the date is 17th April so i am 7 days late on my period. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests which were EPT one on the first day of missed period and one 4 days after missed period and they have both came out negative although i didnt take them first thing in the morning i took them in the afternoon and late at night. I have been having some strange symptoms, my period pains have changed so they are not severe this month which they usually are but very mild, almost like a pinching sensation and this is not everyday. i have broken out in spots, my nails seem to have grown rapidly and have also gained strength in the last 2 weeks and i have been experiencing chronic headaches and nausea for the last week and a half but no vommiting. my breasts are not sore at all which they usually are a couple of days before i am due on but i have noticed more white bumps on my nipple and around the areola as weel as my nipples seeming more errect recently. Im a little more worried about the headaches because they are quite bad all over the top of my head and round the back of my head above my neck. Im wondering how effective these EPT tests are and whether is is worth using a different brand in a couple of days or booking an appointment with my doctor. Me and my partner are TTC for the last 6 months but i have never experienced anything like this in any other month. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks very much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:28 pm

The EPTs are quite reliable but some women don't show high enough hcg levels at the beginning. Some tests are more sensitive than others so theoretically, brand could matter. First Response is one I have been told is very good, but still, for some women, this could still show a false negative. If you want even more reliability, a blood (serum) test can pick up the lower levels sooner. This can be done with a doctor or clinic.

Symptoms of pregnancy and other hormonal fluctuation vary with the individual so it is impossible to diagnose strictly on these. They also tend to be the same symptoms some people have in other conditions as well. This can confuse the issue considerably.

Follow the directions including time of day, and repeat the screening weekly unless your period starts.