Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Boyfriend's penis breaking open

 TwelvePaws - Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:42 pm

We're wondering if anyone can help us figure out what's going on, Every once in a while after we've 'been intimate' his penis, right along the ridge of the head, where it tucks under or whatever you would call it, It breaks open, Not a lot, just enough for it to be sore to him, and it looks like it would if you had a itch and you scratched and scratched it and it just kinda broke open. Any idea's as to what's going on and why (and how to stop it) would be GREAT, We're thinking that on the times it happens maybe things aren't 'wet enough'.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:29 pm

User avatar Hello,

Breaks in the skin of the penis (cracked fissures) commonly result from irritation as a result of vigorous sexual activity or if there is not enough lubrication.

Skin cracks can also result from several skin disorders.

Balanitis is an inflammation of the glans penis which usually results from an infection but can also be predisposed to by irritation. Usually the inflammation presents as distinct red spots or dots, red plaques and may affect the entire head of the penis/prepuce. At times the irritation can be so great as to include small breaks in the surface of the skin (fissures). These open wounds are often very sensitive to touch, particularly when soaps or detergents come into contact with affected skin.

Phimosis, a condition in which the patient is unable to retract the inflammed foreskin can be associated with edema and cracked fissures.

A skin disease known as lichen sclerosus et atrophicus (LSA) can also lead to cracked fissures in the penile skin. A special variant of this disorder on the penis known as balanitis xerotica obliterans (BXO) is localized to the glans penis and foreskin and presents as white scarlike areas. Not only painful at times, it may result in an inability to retract the foreskin (phimosis) and sometimes leads to meatal stenosis. Fissures, erosions, and ulcers result in secondary bacterial infection, and sexual intercourse becomes impossible because of pain induced by erections.

Should the problem persist, you should consult a dermatologist that has experience in these conditions.
 chunx11 - Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:41 pm

i shouldnt worry about this for it is nothing serious but hurts like crazy (trust me its happened to me on the occasion)

best thing to do is keep it clean and let it rest. try letting it heal for a week or two. if u must have sex within that amount of time make sure your vagina is moist enough to enable easy access so that it doesnt pull the skin too far back whilst entering.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us