Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Selsun on my genitals. Permanent damage? Help!

 ScaredAndDumb - Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:33 am

i applied selsun (selenium sulfide 2.5%) to the area around my genitals and it got on my scrotum etc and now my scrotum is really red and feels harder than usual and looks almost scaley. i am really scared.

have i caused permanent damage? will my balls ever look normal again?
is there anything i can do to make this redness go away?

i realize this was stupid. please help me. this is not a joke.

thank you.
 lynette1122 - Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:20 am

my non-professional advice: the skin in that area can be rather sensitive. I think you probably irratated it a bit. Try keeping it moisturized with a nonscented, hypoallergenic lotion - like lubriderm.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us