Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Is a hormone imbalance the cause of my lack of libido?

meanmustard - Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:00 pm

I am female in my late teens, and I have never been attracted to anyone in my entire life. I have never thought anyone was hot or been turned on by someone, or even turned on by anything at all. I have never had sexual desire, arousal, tension or anything. Basically, the only way I can explain it is I feel exactly the same as I did as a child--completely devoid of any form of sexuality. Attempts at masturbation only leave me feeling physically numb (not numb per se, but that's the closest way I can describe it for lack of a better term).

Is this a hormone imbalance, or something else? I am not on any medication, I am completely healthy otherwise, and my period is regular.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:30 pm

While some young women report a high sexual arousal and desire, as a rule, women are most aroused when they are in a loving and committed relationship. This varies from most men, but it is quite normal. I would not be alarmed unless you fall in love (which happens later for some than others and it's OK) and then you still find no physical attraction at all.

Hormones can play a role for sure but we don't know a lot about this and have not yet discovered how to manipulate this with women. Many women on hormonal contraceptives find this decreases libido, but usually this would only be noticed if she had previously had a higher level prior to the pill or other device use.

I think you are premature in worrying about this as sexual maturity (emotional as well as physical) varies tremendously in women.