Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: bleeding after sex, painful sex, weird periods

elc912 - Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm 19 years old and I've been having sex for a solid 2 1/2 years now. I've been in a long distance relationship for about 4 months now and ever since we've started having sex strange things have been occurring. First off, during sex it's often times painful...it almost feels sharp and stabbing, it's just really uncomfortable. Then afterwards, usually if the sex lasts long enough me and my partner notice that there is a half-dollar sized spot of blood on the sheets, I always go to the bathroom to try and figure it out and I honestly can never tell whether the blood came from my vagina or my behind. I've also noticed that my period cycle has started becoming later and later in the month...I used to get it on the 17th of every month, then the 19th, then the 21st, and now I'm still waiting. I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative. After the first time we had sex, I got a UTI. That was my 3rd UTI in about 1 1/2 years but then I noticed a few weeks later I got another one. They always go away with antibiotics but I don't think it's normal to be so prone to them. I noticed that about once a week...or maybe once every two weeks, mostly around the time I'm supposed to start my period my genital are just doesn't feel right. It's not a specific feeling, it just feels kind of weird...and it almost feels like I have to pee but I don't. There isn't ever any pain related with urinating when that happens.. it just feels odd down there. I just don't understand what's going on with my body!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:21 pm

There are many possible causes for your discomfort. One of those is endometriosis, which can be kind of hard to diagnose. If it continues you should ask your health care provider about the possibility of this or other conditions such as ovarian cysts.

Urinary tract infections are in fact very common in women because of the short urethra which is in close proximity with the anus, which tends to be quite "dirty." Sex often increases the woman's susceptibility to infection and a few measures can be taken to help.

If you urinate both just prior to having sex and immediately after, this helps wash the bacteria away before it can travel up the urethra.

I would recommend avoiding anal sex as well since e-coli (normal in the bowel) is a common organism causing urinary tract infections.

Use lubrication when you have sex in case you are having some localized trauma.

If the infections continue, sometimes doctors prescribe low-dose maintenance antibiotics. Talk to your provider about this if you get these frequently.

kyra - Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:26 pm

i'm 18 years old and i noticed that a couple of days after me and my boyfriend had sex, i started to bleed again. i already had my period for the month and we had sex three days after it finished. we started off without using protection but then he used a condom to be safe. after having sex i took the morning after pill because we werent sure if he had pre-cummed or not. the next morning i woke up throwing up and having pain in my stomach and i wasn't sure why. about 5 days later i woke up and i noticed that i had my period again. what could this mean?
 bzeis1108 - Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:54 am

My period is now on the 12th day. This has never happend before. It is not heavy or anything but I am worried there is something wrong?