Forum Name: Fertility

Question: INCREASE IUD FAILURE RATE

kidzer0 - Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am

My wife has had an IUD inserted in her for a couple years now. But lately I have noticed that we've been having random scares where her period is abnormal that what it use to be. I'm scared that the IUD might be not as effective. I don't know what the problem could be. I know that our sex has increased greatly in the recent 8 months but could that be the case? Is it possible to increase our chances of her getting pregnant with an increase rate of sex? A few months ago she showing signs of prenancy, breast swollen and painful, period was like a week late than scheduled and so on. I told her to get a pregnancy test and it came up negative. And this past weekend she was having the same symptoms with an increased appetite. We have a 4yr old son so we've been through a prenancy before but that was without an IUD. I'm worried about any damaged about being pregnant with the IUD still inserted and I would like to know we the high rate of sex we're starting to have, especially during her ovulation phase, will we have a higher possibilty of becoming prenant? Any and all answers will GREATLY appreciated. If you could, could you email me your responses as well at [url]kidszer0@aol.com[/url] thanks a lot.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 2:36 pm

You did not mention how long your wife has had this IUD in or what kind it was but these are usually designed to be good for five years without decrease in effectiveness during that time.

There is a slight failure rate, as with any contraceptive method except abstinence and confirmed sterility. In five years time about 7 women in 1,000 will become pregnant. Frequency of sex does not change he IUD's effectiveness, considering that it works in several ways, preventing fertilization of the egg by damaging or killing sperm. The IUD also affects the uterine lining, making it a more hostile environment for sustaining a pregnancy. In most women who do become pregnant, the IUD is safely removed.

After a few months of use, most women notice a decrease in menstrual bleeding and sometimes complete cessation after a while, so this alteration in periods is not necessarily indicative of pregnancy. With the negative tests, you can be quite confident it is still working. Changes in cycles happen throughout a woman's life, with or without IUDs and are usually normal.

Your wife should have been instructed in how to verify that the IUD is still there. If in doubt about that, she should have it checked by a health care provider.

jjkjohnson - Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:57 pm

I had an iud for over two years, during that time I had very irregular periods, some light, one heavy enough that I was in the hospital twice hooked up to an i.v. due to the loss of blood. After two and a half years I started getting really sick out of nowhere, I had been having bleeding on and off for the past month and a half, not like my usual period, mostly spotting. I figured there was no way I was pregnant but decided one day to take a test since my friend had one and I was completely shocked to find out I was pregnant. I went to the doctors the next day and found out I was a little over 8 weeks pregnant. The strings had been pulled up into my cervix and the iud was not removable anymore. I went to see a specialist and was told because of the amout of bleeding I had been experiencing there was a 10% chance my baby could be born healthy. I was told that if I chose to continue the pregnancy there was a very good chance the iud would get implanted into me and cause my water to break very early with a high chance of birth defects and there was a good possibility I would not be able to have any children again. After alot of thinking we chose to abort the pregnancy because of the 90% chance of miscarriage or an unhealthy baby. After all of this I found out that my best friends mother had been through the same thing. About a year later my best friend also became pregnant with an iud in place. It defenitely can happen, the most important thing I can say is that if you think there is a chance of pregnancy get a test ASAP! If I had caught it earlier there would have been a good chance of removing the iud and having a normal pregnancy, I just figured I was being paranoid but I was right.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08 am

User avatar Good insight! It is always important to err on the side of safety and trust your gut instinct - you know more than you think you do.

Thanks for sharing.