Question: Varicocele

Gritbox - Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:15 pm

hi everyone. i have pretty big varicocele veins in the left side of my scrotum and today i went ofr embolisation. right now though it does not feel any better and if anything it is actually worse. i got it done 4 hours ago. how long should it take for it to sort it all out? is it possible the doctor only treated one vein when there were a few that were bad? thanks people im very worried and i hate having it it looks so ugly, thats why i went for treatment in the first place.
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:02 pm

varicocelectomy is done by a urologist , a doctor who specializes in urinary and genital problems. The procedure is usually done on an outpatient basis (meaning there's no need for an overnight stay in hospital). The patient usually undergoes general or local anesthesia. To fix the problem, the doctor simply ties off the affected vein to redirect the flow of blood into other normal veins.

After surgery, the doctor probably will recommend that a guy wears a scrotal support and places an ice pack on the area to bring down any swelling. There may be discomfort in the testicle for a few weeks, but after that, any aches and pains will go away and everything should be back in full working order.

I would say that if its only been a few hours it is too soon to tell. Were you told to Ice up or wear a scrotal support?
 Gritbox - Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:52 am

hi thanks for replying. no i wasnt but im wearing actual pants as opposed to boxers because i think thats better for support. when i feel my veins if i squeeze them then there is a squishy noise, is this the blood inside it? i got this done 4pm yesterday and theres no improvement. someone said it might take 48 hours? see the vein thats being tied off, what happens to it? does it still stay there? if so ill still have the big lumpy thing!!
 windowshopper - Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:27 am

i'v been hit in the testicles quite often and I want to know if that might be the cause of varicocele. My left testicle feels like bags of worms. And can varicocele just naturally go away? Im wondering if this is heredital?