Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Pregnancy after an abortion

Angel03 - Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:06 am

Hi i found out i was 10 wks pregnant in nov 08,i really wanted to keep the baby but was under a lot of pressure and alot of people advised me not to as at the time i was goin through family problems,i regretted it soon after and now feel ready to have kids but am worried,what if i can't get pregnant again or what if something happens to the baby if i do concieve,i didn't take the antibiotics that were given to me at the time as i went away for abit and forgot to take them with me,could this have caused any fertility problems,pleae help as i luv kids and really want 1 of my own,my periods have been normal after the abortion but i can't help thinking have i missed my chance of being a mother.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Almost all women who wish to become mothers can do so successfully following an abortion, with or without antibiotic treatment. Don't worry, chances are very good for you.

birdiebee - Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:07 pm

hi, about 3 years ago i had an abortion, since then my periods have been regular. my spouce and i have been trying to have a baby of our own for 5 months now and every month just like the other i get my period. is their something more serious happening with me why cant i conceive?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 pm

Most women conceive naturally following an abortion but it is considered normal for it to take up to a year even with regular sexual intercourse. Obviously some women conceive as soon as they start trying but most often it takes a few months. After a year, it is good to see your doctor to be sure there is nothing preventing pregnancy. Of course this could be your husband as well as yourself with a problem, if indeed you are unable to conceive within the year's time. Sometimes it is just luck of the draw since so many things must be in coordination with each other for conception to occur. Sperm has a limited life; eggs have a very short time of being present for fertilization, implantation must occur and there must be good development of the embryo, placenta, etc. Miscarriages often happen when things don't go right - it's nature's way.

My point is that what you have experienced so far is not abnormal. People just seem to be impatient sometimes and we think we have more control over these plans than we really do.