Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Bleeding while on the pill?

cazjay83 - Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:17 pm

I had been on Microgynon 30 for 8 years it was fine, no problems, but I wanted a change so my doctor put me onto Yasmine. I had been on Yasmine for 6 months and it was fine, again no problems. Then me and my boyfriend split up so I decided to use the opportunity to take a break from the pill so I stopped taking it for about 4 months, then I met someone else and realised I should start taking it again, but I only had some of my old microgynon pills left so I started taking those again. I had about 2 packets then managed to get to the doctor who gave me my Yasmine prescription again. I have now started a Yasmine packet straight after my last microgynon, without a break inbetween, but i keep bleeding while taking it. Is it because of going backwards and forwards between the two pills? I have a week left of my Yasmine packet and I am thinking of stopping the pack and having my week break early to give my body the chance to have a period and "get it out of my system" so to speak. Is this a good idea?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:05 am

Bleeding irregularity is a frequently reported side effect of oral contraceptives. Usually within a few months of a new pill prescription your body will adjust. I don't think stopping early will actually do what you are hoping in "getting it all out." It has to do with hormones; not a back up of blood. I would take the pills as prescribed and if things don't settle down within 3 or 4 months, talk to your doctor - sooner if you find it heavy or just unacceptable.

hanfran - Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:09 pm

I have been taking a progestogen only pill -noriday- for two weeks, and had also taken the morning after pill the day that I started using noriday.
I had my period last week and finished 4 days ago. It lasted for 5 days, when my normal period is only 3 (which doesn't worry me as this sometimes happens)........
however this morning immediately after having sex I noticed I had started bleeding a little, so I inserted my menstrual cup and about 10 minutes later I felt it overflowing!
When I emptied it I realised that I wasn't really bleeding all that much but had passed a blood clot equivilent to 12 liquid mls that completely filled the cup (huge!)........It looked like I had passed an organ! I have checked the cup twice in the last half hour and it is clean and I have stopped bleeding enitrely. Is there something wrong? should I go and see a nurse?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Occasional clots are considered normal - even large ones. When blood pools and stays in the uterus it can coagulate and then you pass it as a clot. The abrupt alteration of your hormones that occurs with plan B, along with the other contraceptives most likely has affected your cycle. Some women find it takes a few months to get back on schedule after that.

Since the bleeding has stopped, I suspect it was just that your body needed to eliminate the clot and now that it has, things have stopped as they should.

I would not feel it urgent to see a health professional unless you get ongoing or excessive bleeding.

hanfran - Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:16 am

thanks!!!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:11 pm

User avatar You are most welcome!