Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Injury effects reproduction system.

Hosai - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:29 pm

hi there,

My husband and I need advice on the following question. We have an MRI from a doctor that says the following:
• Decreased height & signal intensity (dehydration) of L4-5 disc with central disc prolapse causing mild-moderate pressure effect on anterior thecal sac & corresponding exit foramina.
• Straightening of the LSS mostly due to muscles spasm.
• No significant bony lesion is seen./

Based on the MRI info regarding the injury, would this injury effect my husband's reproductive system?
We have children, and since this injury we are unable to have another child, could this injury or the injections he was giving for this injury be the reason?

Thank you,

hosia
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
The MRI of the lumbar spine shows mild degenerative disc disease. This should not affect ability to produce sperm - the testicles are responsible for that.

Inability to achieve an erection (erectile dysfunction (ED)) is a separate issue.
Major neurological compromise on MRI would need to be present in order suspect a neurological cause for ED.

The corticosteroids given in spinal injections may have an effect on the sperm motility...this is reported as a potential side effect in the Kenalog's (an injectable corticosteroid) drug information handout. Check with the pain management folks about which drug they use and potential side effects. If present, during of side effect should be temporary.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us