Question: Phimosis - What are the risks/likelyhood of infections?

mufc66 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:17 am

Hi there,

Ive just stumbled across your site after endless research into the subject of phimosis. I would be hugely grateful of any advice/suggestions.

I'm 22, uncircumcised, and fairly inexperienced in the world of sex. It's only recently that Ive become aware that the foreskin is actually meant to retract. It's been forward my whole life, even hanging over a bit. I've never had any problems with masturbation or urination so I thought nothing of it.
Anyway, recently I've attempted to have sex 3 times, each time resulting in paraphimosis, which was hugely unpleasant. The first time it happened I went to the doctor and he just 're-arranged' the foreskin and sent me on my way. The second time I went to the doctor again (a different doctor) and he did nothing, just said that when the swelling goes down the foreskin should return to normal. That didn't happen. The swelling got worse and the blood was clearly being cut off. So I got on the phone to the NHS direct and they sent me to an ER where they returned my foreskin to normal by just pulling and pushing alot. I was advised to either 'use more lube' or to get circumcised. Not a massive fan of the whole circumcision idea and I don't really want to carry a bottle of lube in my pocket for the rest of my life. So i googled and found out about stretching.
I am able to retract the foreskin very slightly when flacid (to reveal a pea-sized amount of the glans). When I do this the ring of open skin at the end of the foreskin looks quite red and disgusting. I was concerned about Phimosis related infections, is this a sign? Or is it possible the redness around the end of the foreskin is caused from tearing during my paraphimosis episodes? Also, I have (and have always had, since I can remember) a dark red line on the underside of my penis from the bottom of the shaft to the tip of the head. Is this a sign of infection?
I really want to try the stretching technique but am worried about infection preventing it as I don't want to waste months to find out that circumcision really is the only option.
I am currently overseas so it's difficult to see a doctor and I would really like to avoid surgery... I heard that the stretching technique doesn't work with severe cases of phimosis, or cases which have been caused by infection (I should probably mention that I've never had unprotected sex).
I would be hugely grateful of a quick reply as the whole thing is frankly driving me mad!
Thanks so much
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:12 am

User avatar Hello,You know well that paraphimosis is a medical emergency while phimosis is quite common.Since you have had two episodes of paraphimosis there is a good reason for circumcision.Redness of the glans does not mean you have balanitis.Do not overuse antiseptics and overclensing has to be avoided.Steroid cremes have been used in treatment of phimosis.