Forum Name: Fertility

Question: High sperm count and motility but low quality

Dentissa - Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:27 am

Hi thank you for your help!
I'm 24 years and had my tests and ultrasound and everything is good with me thanks God.
My husband is 26 years old, he had done the sperm tests and it turned out that his sperm quantity is high enough and motility also is very good and fast, but the morphology is not that good it turned out that he has 78% abnormal sperm shape.
He did the test again after 2 weeks and then after 4-5 months and the same results came back.
I know this decreases his fertility but what are the causes of this? and i heard that even if he had treatments the results wont be better.. Can you please tell me what is the chance of having a baby with him and what can we do?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 am

User avatar Hello,It is quite possible to get impreganated even with a sperm with abnormal morphology.The morphology does not automatically mean a genetic abnormality.These defects do impair the ability of the sperms to reach and fertilize.Intrauterine fertilization or invitro fertilization may be required in some cases.Atleast 30% of sperms of normal morphology are considered with in normal range for fertilization.Best wishes