Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Bleeding While Nursing and on Birth Control.

creepshow - Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:03 pm

My daughter was born on the 11 of July 2009 and I am nursing her, therefore I have not got my period since she was born. My doctor said that was completely normal, and about two weeks ago I started on a progesteron (sp?) only birth control pill that, I was told, would stop my period. So basically, NO BLEEDING ever until I am off the pill and finished nursing. However, about three days ago I started bleeding a little bit- it was mainly brown, very light, kind of like the end of a typical menstrual cycle. But yesterday it picked up and today it is fairly heavy and very red, and I am getting some cramps. Is it possible that I may have gotten pregnant after the baby was born (very unlikely but possible) and am now mis carrying, or am I getting a period? I want to know what's going on. =)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:01 am

What you are experiencing is normal and it is very unlikely it is related to pregnancy. Even when on the pill and/or nursing some breakthrough bleeding is common. The mini pill will help reduce the bleeding but some hormonal adjustment while your body gets used to it could result in slight bleeding. I don't believe this is anything to worry about.