Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Can holding water vaginally cause infertility?

ipmet - Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:14 pm

Can holding water vaginally cause infertility? I recently walked into my pre-teen daughter's room and found her inserting water into her vagina (upside down). When asked what she was doing and where she got the idea she told me she saw it in a movie, Sybil. In the movie Sybil's mother tied her legs in the air and used a hot water bottle to insert water into her vagina. She then made her hold the water for long periods of time as punishment. This resulted in her being unable to reproduce. Is this true? Could this cause damage to her fallopian tubes, uterus or other reproductive organs? Apparently this has been going on for some time; if it is true : how do we determine if any damage has been caused?
 Kirsty_Oz - Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:41 pm

I am unaware as to whether it effects your daughters fertility, but the practice of 'holding' water in her vagina should cease. Flushing or holding water in her vagina upsets the balance of bacteria etc which clean the walls if the vagina and protect it from infection.

Furthermore; other than watching the movie, what has coaxed her into practicing this? is she sexually active and using this as a birth control method? is she being encouraged to do this by her friends?
The reasons why she is doing this needs to be investigated, and this behaviour should stop.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us