Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Condom Split but no ejaculation, chances of pregnancy?

jazz131 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:32 am

I had sex for the 1st time 2 weeks ago. I found it hard to stay erect so I couldn't get the 1st condom on successfully. I got the 2nd condom on, but whilst having sex it broke - I pulled out quickly and had not ejaculated. I put a 3rd condom on, but I pulled out pretty soon after as I was nervous it would also split. Apart from the shaky 1st time (!), what are the chances of my girlfriend being pregnant due to that 2nd condom splitting? She is not on the pill and has not taken the morning after pill. I did not ejaculate through any of this.
Thanks for your time..
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:16 pm

It is important to be sure you have quality condoms. Breakage is often related to the original quality. In the USA, the CDC recommends using only latex male condoms; those with a latex allergy, should use polyurethane condoms since they provide STD and pregnancy protection comparable to latex. While other non-latex synthetics provide a level of pregnancy protection that is similar to latex condoms, too, they are more likely to break or slip.

As for chances of pregnancy, the answer is not simple. Your girlfriend has a few days each month when she is fertile, near the time of ovulation. If you are outside that window, the chances would be very slim that she would become pregnant. However, if she is ovulating and some sperm was released (pre-cum) even without ejaculation the odds would increase. Still, without ejaculating, the chances are much less than if you had done so.

I hope this makes sense.

dehoops88 - Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:44 am

I had a very similar situation happen to me also. The condom broke and I stopped shortly after that without ejaculating. I understand that her ovulation window would affect the chances of becoming pregnant, but she claims she is on birth control. How would this affect the chances of becoming pregnant? Also, she says she is on the birth control where she goes in to get a shot every month... How does that form of birth control differ from the daily pill form of birth control? Thanks!