Question: Erectile dysfunction because of acute transverse myelitis?

murcielago - Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm a 20 year old male who has had a case of acute transverse myelitis when I was was 18, 2 years back (2007). I can only get an erection when masturbating and I am able to ejaculate. However, when I look at or think of anything sexual I can no longer get an erection like I used to.

Was my case of transverse myelitis what caused this?
And is this problem fixable without the use of any medication or surgery?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:19 am

User avatar Hello,Parasympathetic nerves from the spinal cord,and the autonomic nerve fibers when thy get affected relaxation and filling of blood in the corpus cavernosum get affected.Since you are able to get and maintain erections with masturbation it is unlikely that there are any organic causes.Psychogenic causes again act on the parasymathetic nerves inhibiting reflex erection,or extra sympathetic influence that constrict the muscles to prevent proper flow.You may not need anythig other than counselling and I am sure you will get evaluated.Best wishes.
 murcielago - Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:32 am

Is it certain that my ED is not organic or psychogenic?
If so then is there anyway of me being able to attain an erection again without going to a therapist? Any suggestions on how to fix what is mentally inhibiting me?