Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Rectal Foreign Object, Discomfort and Worry

 bluth - Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi, I'm John.

I'm a 22 year old male, and have an embarrassing and kind of disgusting question. Sorry for this. Sometimes I put things in my anus for erotic pleasure. This past time, I put smooth carrot up there. But, it may have been too large. I used a lot of lubrication, and I didn't force it in. But, since then, 10 days ago, I have had discomfort and slightly irregular bowel habits (although no severe diarrhea), with increased burping and the feeling and of air 'moving around' in my abdomen. However, I HAVE NOT had a fever, severe pain, or any bleeding in my stool, I also haven't had a distended belly. Also, there is definitely NOTHING still up there. So, I don't think I perforated anything. Should I go see a physician, or wait out some of the abdominal irritation? And, if I did go, what would they do to me with that information? Some of this I think may be from worry, and depression. Sorry again, and thanks very much for answering!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
I suspect irritation is the problem and if you give it a rest for a while it will probably resolve. iI is also possible you could have a co-existing bowel problem even related to stress, anxiety and depression, so if you don't get relief with anti-gas medications or other tummy relief meds you should talk to a doctor - internal medicine, family practice, or GI specialist. You could have irritable bowel syndrome or something else going on. It does not sound like infection or any serious damage resulting from the foreign object.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us