Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: can the depo shot cause a yeast infection

daisys - Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:34 am

I recently started the Depo shot last Thursday and I am having some vaginal irritation. I noticed Monday that i have a really fowl odor coming from my vagina and it itches. However I don't have a heavy or even change in my discharge that I've noticed. I have a doctors appointment but its scheduled in almost 2 weeks. Is it possible for the Depo shot to cause a yeast infection?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would not consider the depo shot to be a cause of yeast infection but there is a delicate balance in the vaginal pH which can be affected by a number of things, including hormones so if you have symptoms you are best to treat it. These infections are very common in women even without any known cause.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us