Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: can the depo shot cause a yeast infection

daisys - Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:34 am

I recently started the Depo shot last Thursday and I am having some vaginal irritation. I noticed Monday that i have a really fowl odor coming from my vagina and it itches. However I don't have a heavy or even change in my discharge that I've noticed. I have a doctors appointment but its scheduled in almost 2 weeks. Is it possible for the Depo shot to cause a yeast infection?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:27 pm

I would not consider the depo shot to be a cause of yeast infection but there is a delicate balance in the vaginal pH which can be affected by a number of things, including hormones so if you have symptoms you are best to treat it. These infections are very common in women even without any known cause.