Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Azoospermia and future fertility

heinz2 - Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi

I have been diagnosed with azoospermia.After reading about this online im in shock. I was wondering if this a transient correctable state as My partner had a miscarriage at 5 weeks about 1 year ago. Or is this a lab error? Is there anything I can do to improve my situation. I have requested a repeat sample but the doctor is adamant that the result is accurate. Please advise also would you recommend any private fertility clinic as the NHS is obviously not willing to accomodate our needs.

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:12 pm

User avatar Hello,To make sure that indeed a person is azoospermic centifugation of the semen sample may be required.Also even if there are some sperms, they can be used for Intra cytoplsmic Sperm Injection ICSI, if it is indicated.
Hormonal testing for FSH FollicleStimulatingHormone levels will give an idea as to the azoospermia is of obstructive or the non obstructive type if indeed if it is present.Also the presence of few sperms by examining the pellet would rule out ductal obstruction.Also if there is a low volume ejaculate retrograde ejaculation needs to be ruled out.Tests like vasography may be required to rule out ductal obsruction.Testicular biopsy is advised to assess testicular sperm production in nonobstructive types.
Typically a man with nonobstructive type would present with a small testes and a flat epididymis with a typically elevated serum FSH and normal testosterone.A definitive diagnosis of NOA is with a testicular biopsy.