Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Plan B and Next Choice Taken the Same Month - and a Question

Alicia891 - Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:36 am

Hi,

I have some question that everyone just happens to have a different answer. Can sperm go through clothes? Some say yes others say no. As for me, I was taught that the man actually needs to get his penis inside a woman's vagina (have direct contact) in order to sperm to go in and find an egg. I need an official answer from someone that actually went to medical school.

Twice this month my friend and I got a little too close to each other. I was wearing pajamas ( long pants and underwear) he was wearing his briefs. Things got a little out of hand, but we still kept our clothes on. He did rub himself against me ( but high on my front thighs, almost near). This happened twice this moth (two weeks in between). The first time he was wet ( i was too -- but I did change my underwear after), the second time he wasn't (the second time I was wearing a pantyliner). Im currently not on birth control. I did take Nextchoice the first time (the day after it happened), Plan B the second time (almost near 72 hrs of when it happened). I know some may say this was unnecessary, but better safe than sorry

I took Plan B two days before my period ( but my period is irregular like most women), is there still a chance that I can get my period, or will the high amount of levonorgestrel (more like double the amount due to Next Choice) stop it from coming at the prospective time?

But I just need to know, is there a possibility that I can still be pregnant even if we didnt have direct contact and I took the precautions listed above?

I have to say I'm concerned...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
The chances of you being pregnant are practically non-existent. I know of no documented case where pregnancy occurred when there were clothes in the way. Penetration and insertion of sperm inside the vagina is necessary.

Having taken plan B you pretty well assure that even this miraculous conception could not happen. But, it can affect your period so don't let that worry you. It can even take a few months for things to get back to normal following this high dose of hormone.

I would recommend finding another method of birth control to save you this grief.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us