Question: chronic epititymo orchitis (help!)

df118 - Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Since Christmas I have been suffering from chronic epitytimo orchitis. I have been hospitalised twice, and am now on my forth batch of antibiotics. Fortunately the constant nausea and feeling like I’ve got a hangover resulting from a Year long drinking spree have passed, but my pain has not and my life has come to a stand still as a result.
This is a reoccurrence of my condition. I became ill a year and a half ago for the first time, again for a period of three months. Fortunately now however I have a G.P. who is taking this flare up seriously (whereas a year ago, while treated by another doctor, my mental health was questioned, which I felt to be inappropriate and patronising and I was given little help), and we have formed an understanding regarding pain control. I have been taking dyhidrocoedine for two months now, and while I understand the dangers of taking such a drug, I feel the level of pain I’m in allows for it at the moment before we start discussing a longer term solution.
I’m about to undergo an endoscopic examination, to be followed by a bladder pressure test.
I’m trying to come to terms with two problems: the damage I’m taking and possible loss of fertility, and

:arrow: I’m terrified this pain isn’t going to go away. I feel like I'm dying. It’s really making my life difficult, personally (I can’t work, eat, sleep or sometimes I have to walk with crutches) and socially (at times I feel like I could kill).
Can anyone tell me of any techniques to relieve the pain? Such as exercise or diet?
Would exercise help me or could it make me worse?
At the moment I would consider anything, but I’m trying to be as pragmatic as possible and know I can’t keep taking the pills eternally.
I understand it’s likely that this illness will occur again (it’s possible it stems from a problem from my kidneys), and I’m afraid my pain will rumble on for years.
I really need a solution.
Thanks for reading, sorry if this has rambled, I’m stoned and panicky. Any help would be aprecciated.
I’m 24, 5 foot 8 and weigh 8 stone btw.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Epididymo-Orchitis is usually due to viral or bacterial infection caused from a variety of things, surgery, catheterization, infection in the bowel or urinary tract or vas deferens and can be extremely painful as you know. The usual treatment is antibiotics for bacterial, immobilization of the scrotum with a jockstrap, pain relievers, ice packs applied to the scrotum and draining of abscesses if necessary.

Do you feel any soft lumps or fluid around the testes? Have your Health Care Providers checked for hydroceles or an abscess if that has not been done recently? The two most common causes of this in men are Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. Bowel bacterium Escherischia Coli and Tuberculosis infection can (in rare instances) also cause this.

The outlook is usually good once the cause is found and under control but it may take several months for your swollen testis to return to their normal size. In some cases they remain enlarged for life.

Can you go to a Urologist for care?