Question: pain in the groin, swollen lymph node

giant35 - Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:00 am

I have been experiencing slowly increasing pain centered in the groin, but also in my lower back at times. My testicles are also tender. One of my lymph nodes is swollen now. 2 days ago it was not. Now the sides my scrotum (not the testicles-- perhaps the vas deferens?) are in pain, which is increasing by the day. I was planning to go to the doctor this weekend but I need to know if it's something more serious that would warrant going tomorrow or even tonight. The soreness is uncomfortable and is preventing me from sleeping tonight. Last night it was not as bad. Could this be some sort of infection?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 pm

It is probably a lymph node it occurs in a lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician
The inguinal lymph nodes are situated in the crease between the leg and pelvis (more on the outside of that crease, ie, laterally).

They drain the penis, scrotum, vulva, vagina, perineum, gluteal region, lower abdominal wall, lower anal canal.

Common causes of enlargement include infections of the leg or foot, STDs (eg, herpes simplex virus, gonococcal infection, syphilis, chancroid, granuloma inguinale, lymphogranuloma venereum), lymphoma, pelvic malignancy, bubonic plague.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal
If it is painful or tender this indicate infection or inflammation.

The pain you feel means that there is irritation of the peritoneum due to infection or inflammation in the genital organ.

You have to seek medical advise as soon as possible, It sounds to be of infectious cause.
Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.