Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: pain in the groin, swollen lymph node

 giant35 - Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:00 am

I have been experiencing slowly increasing pain centered in the groin, but also in my lower back at times. My testicles are also tender. One of my lymph nodes is swollen now. 2 days ago it was not. Now the sides my scrotum (not the testicles-- perhaps the vas deferens?) are in pain, which is increasing by the day. I was planning to go to the doctor this weekend but I need to know if it's something more serious that would warrant going tomorrow or even tonight. The soreness is uncomfortable and is preventing me from sleeping tonight. Last night it was not as bad. Could this be some sort of infection?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 pm

User avatar Hello,

It is probably a lymph node it occurs in a lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician
The inguinal lymph nodes are situated in the crease between the leg and pelvis (more on the outside of that crease, ie, laterally).

They drain the penis, scrotum, vulva, vagina, perineum, gluteal region, lower abdominal wall, lower anal canal.

Common causes of enlargement include infections of the leg or foot, STDs (eg, herpes simplex virus, gonococcal infection, syphilis, chancroid, granuloma inguinale, lymphogranuloma venereum), lymphoma, pelvic malignancy, bubonic plague.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal
If it is painful or tender this indicate infection or inflammation.

The pain you feel means that there is irritation of the peritoneum due to infection or inflammation in the genital organ.

You have to seek medical advise as soon as possible, It sounds to be of infectious cause.
Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us