Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: is it pilonidal cyst or pregnancy?

Bettie - Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 pm

I have been having vaginal bleeding during sex every time for the past three weeks. I am almost sure I am not pregnant. I am wondering if a pilonidal cyst can grow or spread to the vagina and cause such bleeding. I ask because the cyst has been more active in the past year than it has ever been in the four years I have been living with it and I have also been experiencing an extreme amount of acne in this area.
 Bettie - Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Sorry I forgot something. The reason I am curious if it might be the spotting that happens when an egg is fertilized is because I was supposed to have my period three weeks ago and I haven't had it yet. The only time I bleed is during sex and it is always a light brown.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
Vaginal bleeding is not a sign of pregnancy. If it was due to pilonidal cyst I would think you would know that it was not from the vagina. I have never heard of one spreading as you describe.

It sounds like you need to see a health care provider to rule out other cysts or infections that might cause bleeding.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us