Question: Mass under Penis skin

jma1111 - Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:43 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what my problem could be. I have a doctor''s appointment set up in two weeks, earliest I could get for a non-emergency, but it is driving me nuts wondering what this mass/lump is at this point. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am 24 and have no sexual history.

Around last summer or so it first appreared. I woke up and had a lump/mass right under the skin, around the location of my scar from being circumcised as a child. The lump was a little bigger than a tic tac and popped up making a large indentation from underneath the skin. I left it alone for a while and it eventually got much smaller The problem is that it has never gone away, so I finally gave in and made an appointment last week.

The mass itself is movable up to 1-2 cms in any direction. It also seems to change sizes on it's own. It has never gotten to the same size it was when it first appeared however. I would say it has lost 1/2 of it's size since it first appeared. It does not appear to be going away any further though. When my skin is clear enough, or the mass is prominant enough to view, it looks like it is white, or clear. I do not think it is a vein as it has no color? It also seems to get more prominant the more I poke at it. It also seems to be at it's largest size when I wake up in the morning.

Once again, thanks for any ideas anyone can provide. :? 8)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:24 pm

User avatar Dear jma1111,

There is no replacement for direct clinical examination, But It sounds like Pearly penile papules:

These small papules are best described as embryological remnants. As you said they are usually located around the circumference of the crown of the glans penis. It can be a single lesion but usually They are multiple in number and small (about 1-3mm).

They usually appear as yellow-white, domelike papules arranged in a row of multiple-grouped lesions along the corona and sulcus of the glans in adolescent males. That is the typical presentation, but by no means the only one.

They typically develop in men aged 20 to 40, and around 10 per cent of all men are affected. Presentation may occur in males in their second to fifth decades. Rare cases in children as young as 11 years have been reported. They may be mistaken for warts, are not infectious (not an STD), and not related to personal hygiene.

They require no treatment. Some patients however, may request therapy to alleviate anxiety or for aesthetic reasons. Ablation using carbon dioxide laser, electrodesiccation with curettage, and excisional surgery reportedly have successfully eliminated lesions. Mixed results have been noted with cryotherapy.

I advised you to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.