Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: help

 johnh - Wed May 11, 2005 10:21 pm

sorry i didnt know where to post this but I have a problem that I'm very nervous to visit a doctor about. I apologize that I had to post this here, but I don't know where else to ask. I am currently 17 years old in highschool and I have a curved penis. Please do not take this as a joke, because it is a problem that has grown bigger in my mind as I grow older. Will this problem prevent me from having sexual relationships with any girlfriend or wife that I may have? I have read about a disease that causes the curvation of the penis and it appears that it generally appears in adults older then me, so I don't know why I have this. Is there a way that it can be cured? Any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appriciated. For an idea of the shape it would be comparable to a banana ( sorry for the bad description ). Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 12, 2005 4:15 am

User avatar Hi johnh,
No apology is necessary. Actually a curved penis is a little more common than most men realize. Conditions that cause curvature are penile injury, urethral stricture (narrowed urethral opening), Peyronie's disease (hardened scar tissue on the penis), Hypospadias (misplaced urinary opening). Mild curvature does not prevent a sexual relationship (unless of course anxiety over the symptom causes erection failure) nor does it cause infertility. I would suggest you have an evaluation by your physician who may refer you to a urologist for an evaluation. Please keep in mind that physicians see many "imperfections" so to speak which most of us have in one way or another.
 johnh - Thu May 12, 2005 10:25 pm

Thank you for the great reply. I will contact my physician and have it looked at. Althought, I may have one other problem. When masterbating, the 'friction' I suppose against my penis can cause it to get irritated and swollen almost. I don't know what causes this, but gentle rubbing does not affect it at all. There is no errection problem though. I don't know how 'rough' sex may or may not be and once again hope that this problem can either be fixed or not a problem when having sex. Once again, sorry for the almost crudeness of my post, but I don't know of any other way to word it. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri May 13, 2005 8:21 am

User avatar Hi johnh,
Your post is not taken as being crude what so ever. I would consider it as an honest question searching for some information. Now regarding the irritation problem during masturbation, if you are not using a lubricant (water based like KY lubricant) you may want to try it since it will reduce the irritation from friction. If an erection problem is not present now I would find it unlikely to be present during sexual intercourse.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us