Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Lump just above my vagina

Karen790 - Tue May 31, 2005 2:17 pm

About five days ago, I discovered a small lump about two inches above my vagina, just below my bikini line. Up until yesterday, I had no other symptoms, but now I'm getting what feels like mild period pains. The lump itself doesn't hurt when I press on it at all. I'm generally in good health, and haven't been in a sexual relationship for months now, so I'm ruling out an STD. I really really don't want to go to my Doctor, so I'm hoping someone can help me here. Could this be a sign of cancer, and if not, what other possibilities are there? The whole thing is really worrying me, and I'm desperate for some answers. I'm 26 years old.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 31, 2005 2:31 pm

User avatar Your description of the location of the lump doesn't make sense to me. I am assuming by vagina you mean the entrance? If it's 2 inches up from there, it would be about where your urethra is, so the bikini line wouldn't really be relevant. Is it on the lips? Please clarify, thanks!

Shannon
 Karen790 - Tue May 31, 2005 2:35 pm

Yes, I do mean about 2 inches above the entrance. Scrap what I said about the bikini line - sorry.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 31, 2005 6:55 pm

User avatar Ok, now I need for you to describe the lump; how big, hard, soft, inner or outer lip, any itching or burning. Vulvar cancer is EXTREMELY rare, so don't jump off the deep end just yet!!

Did you get tested for STD during your last relationship? Just need to know; anything is possible.
 Karen790 - Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:21 pm

The lump is growing outside, where my pubic hair is. It's completely hard, and about a third the size of a pea. There isn't any itching or burning at all - just mild cramps, which are just uncomfortable as opposed to painful. (although I'm wondering if this is psychological from worrying about it ). I've not been tested for STDs, but I'm 95% sure that isn't the problem anyway. In the past couple of years, I've only had a casual sexual relationship with one man, and we've not had full sex in all that time.

As a side note, thanks for your responses here. I really do appreciate your help.
 jezablue - Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:02 am

Hello, my name is Jeza and I've just discovered a lump on my vagina lip just a few minutes ago. I'm frantically searching the interenet for answers and this sounds just like what I have. The lump is slightly larger than a pea and is harder than it is soft. I don't believe it can be an std because I have not had sexual relations with anyone for months, and the last time I did we had used a condom. I will go to the clinic to be tested as soon as i can. Could this be a form of cancer? I'm really scared, i'm only 18 years old and i'm just starting out my career in the military. Any advice or facts will be a tremendous help. Thank you.
 panic - Sat May 09, 2009 11:20 pm

i just noticed a lump right above my clitoris.. its not sore but at times it is unbearably itchy. im really worried cause im only 14 and i seriously don't want to tell anyone about it not even my mam. please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:21 pm

You could have a cyst or inflamed follicle. I would use warm packs or sitz baths to see if it goes down. Some cysts stay for a long time but are totally harmless. If it continues it would be good to have it checked out, though at your age the chances are it is nothing to worry about. Infection sometimes causes itching and this can result from a change in the normal pH of the vagina. If you can see a doctor to determine the cause you will probably be able to fix the problem without too much trouble but I see no harm in waiting a little while to see if it goes away.

Try to trust your mother to help if you need it.