Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Is there sperm in "precum"???

tbsxroxx - Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:28 am

Hello,

From most of the sexual health sites I have been to, I have read that there is NO SPERM in a males' precum, which makes sense, because it is clear and cum is a cloudy white color, which is the color of the sperm.

Those sites said there is NO SPERM in the precum, and that it is just meant to clean out the tube for sperm to later travel through.

And that the ONLY way there could be a small chance of sperm being in precum is that if a male has already ejaculated and has not urinated since then.

Can somone please tell me if this is true.

thanks
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:53 am

User avatar Not a word of it is true. There is no color of sperm - it is not visible to the naked eye.

There is plenty enough sperm to cause pregnancy, although obviously not as much as ejaculate. Best to use birth control.
 Kirsty_Oz - Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:11 am

absolutely untrue.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:18 am

User avatar Granted, there are some studies that negate this possibility, but it can contain sperm and cause pregnancy, otherwise, the withdrawl method of birth control would work every time if done properly. It also carries HIV and other STDs. Why take the chance?
 JC23 - Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:00 pm

is there a high chance of getting my girlfriend pregnant by precum even if we have used a condom after we had "started" right after her ovulation period

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us