Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Varicocele

 ajpviau - Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:13 am

My doc gave me a full physical on Friday and when he was checking my scrotum he at first said he found a cyst in my right testicle and then said it was potentially varicocele and that he found it in both the left and right testicles. Are cysts and varicocele the same thing, or are these two different diagnosis' of what he found?

I am getting an ultrasound done this week to find out what it is exactly. If it is varicocele, what causes this, and will this mean I am completely infertile, or that ther is a slight chance i will be? My doc said the varicocele reduces the sperm count, is this correct? I'm concerend as my wife and I are about to start trying for kids in a month or so.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:19 am

User avatar Hi ajpviau,
A varicocele is enlargement of veins. This may cause an impairment of blood circulation and cause improper cooling in this area. The increases in temperature may cause damage to sperm or inhibit the production of new sperm. If a varicocele is present an ultrasound should identify this disorder. If the varicocele is not causing symptoms and infertility is not an issue treatment is aimed by supporting the scrotum either with an athletic support or snugly fitting undershorts. If there are symptoms, pain, testicular damage, etc. and a question of fertility, the method of treatment is a surgical procedure.
 ajpviau - Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:24 am

Thanks for the info. I will be getting an ultrasound done this week, maybe early next week to see what it is. I do have the odd pain down there, but hopefully it is not that serious. At least it sounds like there is some hope if it is serious.

Thanks again! :)
 ajpviau - Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:23 pm


My ultrasound revealed that it is in fact varicocele. My doc said at this point, they are not very big, so there is no treatment involved other then watching it closely to see if it causes me pain and if I have any trouble with getting my wife pregnant. We just started trying, so we should know in a couple of months if there is a problem.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:15 pm

User avatar Hi ajpviau,
Thank you for the update. Good Luck to you! :)
 ajpviau - Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:53 pm

Well, it appears the varicocele are not that bad as my wife is now pregnant. Technically, she is 4 weeks. :D Very big sigh of relief!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:55 pm

User avatar Hi ajpviau,
Congratulations to both you and your wife! :D I hope you will consider posting when your new addition arrives :D
 netid - Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:26 pm

I too have varicocele.It developed on the left side when I was around 13. One has started to develop on the right side within the last few years. I told my doctor that I believe the left side is unreasonably large, but my doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about and that they aren't removed unless there's is a good reason - low sperm count and such. I asked him pointedly whether it would cause problems (damage or even cancer due to the additional heat). He said unlikely. But this thread has started wondering again. Would it be a good idea to just skip my family doctor and go to a urologist?

Does it hurt? Not really. I mean, there are times when there is a dull pain at the back of the left testicle. Usually shfting how I'm setting or just moving my scrotum a bit takes care of the problem. Doesn't happen often though.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:17 am

User avatar Hi netid,
Varicocele's are usually not surgically treated unless they become painfully enlarged or are causing other problems etc. However, you may want an evaluation by an Urologist to assure that this procedure is not necessary at this point.
 ajpviau - Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:45 am

I agree, get a urologist to take a look. I am walking proof though that having Varicocele doesn't necessarily mean that you will be infertile (if you ever plan on having kids).

Good Luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us