Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: condom use

maybaby - Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:39 am

My partner and I are having trouble with condom use. We are currently using trojan-enz with spermicidal lubricant, but we have tried other brands and styles as well. When his penis hardens and he applies the condom before intercourse, it does not roll smoothly down his penis as it should. He has to pull and stretch the condom over the head of his penis and it is often a struggle to get the latex all the way down the shaft to the base; there end up being folds of the latex on his penis. We both know the proper way to put on a condom, but it simply does not work that easily. Though we are monogomous, I have had other partners in the past and this was never a problem. His penis is large, but could it's size be causing this problem? Could the thickness of his penis prevent the condom from rolling down the shaft? Also, our condoms break during sex, somewhere between occassionally and frequently. I realize that this could be a result of the condom trouble, but it is beginning to make me very nervous. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:28 pm

User avatar There are extra large condoms available; these are obviously too small.

The chance of a condom tearing is extremely rare if used properly; they are all tested and stretched individually to eliminate defective ones before packaged and sold. He is leaving a reservior at the tip isn't he?

Condoms with spermicide can make them a bit more slippery on the penis, though, try using a vaginal spermicide instead. :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us