Question: I am a 27 year old female...

Lura27 - Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:46 pm

hi,
I'm 27yrs old and I smoke....I was wondering if I have hypoglycemia or diabetes..for about 5 years I have had these symptoms: I get tired,shakiness, dizziness,sleepy, and sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out,I feel very weak,it gets worst the longer I wait to eat...but if I eat like a orange or a big meal then shortly after that I start to feel better...don't get me wrong I am not a picky eater but I don't have time to eat 3 times a day... more often then not I eat 2 times a day...All Four of my grandparents and both my parents have a histroy of diabetes. and high bloodpressure.
Thank you,
Lura
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:30 am

User avatar It sounds like classic hypoglycemia. Do get tested for diabetes; hypoglycemia can be a sign of early diabetes as well.

It is NOT healthy to only eat 2 times per day. You should be eating small meals (healthy snacks included) every 4 hours at least. Your brain is lacking glucose when you don't eat enough, and has difficulty in working as well as it can normally. Breakfast is most important. If you eat less often, especially if you eat a larger portion, it will pack on the pounds, because it slows down your metabolism.

Eat plenty of protein with "good" carbs with your meals and snacks, too. Cottage cheese, any type of dairy, peanut butter and nuts are good choices. Eat carbs, but healthy ones; whole wheat only, and plenty of fruits and veggies.