Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: I am a 27 year old female...

Lura27 - Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:46 pm

hi,
I'm 27yrs old and I smoke....I was wondering if I have hypoglycemia or diabetes..for about 5 years I have had these symptoms: I get tired,shakiness, dizziness,sleepy, and sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out,I feel very weak,it gets worst the longer I wait to eat...but if I eat like a orange or a big meal then shortly after that I start to feel better...don't get me wrong I am not a picky eater but I don't have time to eat 3 times a day... more often then not I eat 2 times a day...All Four of my grandparents and both my parents have a histroy of diabetes. and high bloodpressure.
Thank you,
Lura
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:30 am

User avatar It sounds like classic hypoglycemia. Do get tested for diabetes; hypoglycemia can be a sign of early diabetes as well.

It is NOT healthy to only eat 2 times per day. You should be eating small meals (healthy snacks included) every 4 hours at least. Your brain is lacking glucose when you don't eat enough, and has difficulty in working as well as it can normally. Breakfast is most important. If you eat less often, especially if you eat a larger portion, it will pack on the pounds, because it slows down your metabolism.

Eat plenty of protein with "good" carbs with your meals and snacks, too. Cottage cheese, any type of dairy, peanut butter and nuts are good choices. Eat carbs, but healthy ones; whole wheat only, and plenty of fruits and veggies.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us