Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Contraception

swilson5663 - Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone could provide a definitive answer to this question. I have heard everything from 5 days to one month.

How long does it take for the birth control pill (in this case Diane 35) to take effect?

Also, does it matter what pill in the pack is taken on what day - I am assuming that the "day" guidelines are simply for ease of use.

Can one continuously take the birth control pill (skipping "weeks off")?

Thank you in advance!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:07 pm

User avatar The pill is effective after 7 days of starting. It is recommended to start the 1st Sunday after your period - it doesn't matter what pill on what day as long as it is every day consecutively.

It is possible to skip the inactive pills to avoid a period, but is not recommended without consulting your doctor. If you wish to be free of periods, the depo shot is specically for that.