Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Bump inside my Vagina

 Blah - Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:14 pm

I accidently came across this bump inside my vagina. It's back there away. I can only feel so much of it because my index finger isn't long enough. It doesn't hurt or anything. I haven't had sex at all. I dunno how big it is my guess would be that it's close to the size of a golf ball, maybe a bit smaller. It's not really hard, but it's not soft either. I think it might have something to do with the stomach problems I am having. But as far as I know, I've been having my stomach problems long before that showed up. Could you possibly tell me what it is?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:32 pm

What is your age? Have you ever had an internal (vaginal) examination? Are you sure it is not the cervix you felt? The cervix is the lower portion of the uterus which protrudes through the upper part of the vagina and is cylindrical or conical in shape.

Your doctor will refer you for a pelvic ultrasound to determine the actual location and size of this "bump" if it is not the cervix. If you have never had sex, your hymen may still be intact. Therefore, let your doctor know this before he/she conducts an internal examination.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Blah - Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:43 pm

I'm only 15. And no I haven't had an internal (vaginal) examination. Umm, I'm not sure if it was my cervix or not. Of course, I couldn't feel the whole thing. I measured my index finger so the bump is about 3 1/2 inches in. Is that close to where the cervix protrudes?
Thanks so much for your help.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:05 am

At this age, your mother should arrange an appointment for a doctor's opinion and she should accompany you. Yes, 3 1/2 inches into the vagina is approximately where you would feel the protruding cervix.

I have responded to your other post in the gastroenterology forum

Dr Anthony Solomon
 Blah - Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:30 pm

Thank you. You have been of much help. And it is very appreciated.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:28 pm

It was a pleasure to have been of some use to you. Come back and tell us what your doctor found.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 Blah - Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:53 pm

Sure thing. And thanks again!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us