Question: Swolln/Hardened Vien or Other in Penis

David - Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:46 pm

I have either an extremely hardened vein running form the base of my shaft to the area before the head of my penis. I noticed it a couple of days ago. When I get an erection, you can tell that it travels the length of my penis. When I first found it,. I thought it was a small hardened bump. But that was before I got an erection. What could this be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:44 pm

User avatar You may be describing superficial thrombophlebitis of the penis (an uncommon disease known as Mondor's disease). This is an inflammatory reaction to a clot within the vein. This subsequently causes blockages and dilation of the vein. It is typically painless, but can be painful. In studies, patients were noted to have thrombophlebitis after a prolonged sexual act with or without intercourse. It was described as cord-like thickening of the superficial penile veins.

Diagnosis is via ultrasound which shows blockage of the vessels. Treatment is with anti-inflammatories (i.e. aspirin or ibuprofen) and most resolve within 4-6 weeks. If it persists, then surgery may be necessary. A referral to a urologist would be reasonable.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.
Regards,
 David - Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:16 am

Thank you very much for the information. I am going to mak a doctor appointment today. It sounds as if it is not so big of a deal as to worry my brains out on a daily basis but a big enough deal to definitley have something done or at least have it looked at. Thanks again for your repsonse.
David