Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Swolln/Hardened Vien or Other in Penis

David - Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:46 pm

I have either an extremely hardened vein running form the base of my shaft to the area before the head of my penis. I noticed it a couple of days ago. When I get an erection, you can tell that it travels the length of my penis. When I first found it,. I thought it was a small hardened bump. But that was before I got an erection. What could this be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:44 pm

User avatar You may be describing superficial thrombophlebitis of the penis (an uncommon disease known as Mondor's disease). This is an inflammatory reaction to a clot within the vein. This subsequently causes blockages and dilation of the vein. It is typically painless, but can be painful. In studies, patients were noted to have thrombophlebitis after a prolonged sexual act with or without intercourse. It was described as cord-like thickening of the superficial penile veins.

Diagnosis is via ultrasound which shows blockage of the vessels. Treatment is with anti-inflammatories (i.e. aspirin or ibuprofen) and most resolve within 4-6 weeks. If it persists, then surgery may be necessary. A referral to a urologist would be reasonable.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.
Regards,
 David - Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:16 am

Thank you very much for the information. I am going to mak a doctor appointment today. It sounds as if it is not so big of a deal as to worry my brains out on a daily basis but a big enough deal to definitley have something done or at least have it looked at. Thanks again for your repsonse.
David

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us