Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Health scare after an orgasm.

soma878 - Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:04 pm

Hello,
My girlfriend, 19 years of age has been having a problem lately after she climax's during sexual stimulation. Maybe a few minute after, she loses the ability to breathe for up to minutes at a time, before she can gasp for air again. There have also been episodes where she has loss the ability to move her limbs or torso incompanied with the loss of breath. This subsides over 15 minutes or so. She also complains of tightness in chest, the feeling that her hands have fallen asleep and dizziness and even naseau in some cases while these episodes happen.

Her doctor didn't quite know what to do, and I think it could be some sort of panic attack or asthmatic chemical imbalance. But I'm really worried for her and i'm trying to shed some more light on this matter for the betterment of our sex life. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:06 pm

User avatar During orgasm, the heart rate, blood pressure and breathing are all increased, this is normal. But not being able to move the limbs or torso and becoming short of breath minutes later is not normal.

Before being diagnosed as a panic attack she should have a full physical examination. If you are not confident in the doctor she saw, get a second opinion.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us