Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Oversized Labia Minora

lookthroughme - Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:30 pm

I'm 15 and one of my inner labias is about three times the size of the other. However, this wasn't always so. It started about 2 years ago when I started masturbating with the showerhead. (Could this be the cause of it?) Anyway, I figured it was just swollen, and the swelling would go down. However, as time went on, it only got worse. It's now a more purple-ish, darker color, and bigger. Anyways, point being, instead of it getting better like I assumed it would, it only got worse. And it's now two years later, and I haven't told anyone about it. I would really like to, but I am too embarrassed. Also, I'm afraid if my parents take me to a gynocologist or anything of that sort, they will find out I'm not a virgin anymore, WHICH CAN NOT HAPPEN. I've been a huge emotional wreck ever since, and I really need to find out more about this. Any advice, information, help, or ideas would be SO greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 troubled - Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:47 am

Hello there

just letting you know, even though I am not a doctor, I have exactly the same condition. One of my libia minora is much larger than the other. It is also a purpleish colour. I went to the gyno for suggestions on removal. They can operate to remove it. They said it will be a quick cut, nothing too serious. I think they use lazer surgery so it heals and everything. I am only 18 so I have to wait a while to go through with the operation. However, I have only just gotten over my depression and worries about such a small issue.

Since you are only 15, I think your parent has to be with you during your gyno appt. I went with my mother. don't WORRY, They cannot tell your mother or father that you are not a virgin! It is a privacy thing. Also, when you go into the rooom to be looked at, you will be with the doctor and they ask if you wish your parent to be present. Just say you don't feel comfortable with it, they will understand.

It is a bit of relief to hear someone else who has the same trouble as I do. thought no one else had it, I thought i was alone. So when I saw your post, I thought I would offer you some advice and support. Hope what I suggested helps you get through this hard time in your life. I know how hard this can be! Just don't worry, you will be fine. tell me how everythng goes!

Sarah
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:05 pm

User avatar It is compleyly normal to have larger labia minora, and for it to be a darker color. It is also normal for one to be larger than the other. There is cosmetic surgery to change the appearance if you are unhappy with the way they look.

Being that you are 15, the reason you have noticed this change recently is because of puberty. Your body is maturing and changing. It isn't from masturbating.

It would be a good idea to go to a gynecologist now, if you are not a virgin, because you need to have anual pap smears. Also, while yoru there, you can address any concerns you have. The doctor cannot tell your parents any medical information without your permission.