Question: I can't stop masturbating

benvolio - Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:37 pm

HI ALL,
IM A 21 YEAR OLD STUDENT IN THE UK, AND BASICALLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MASTURBATION. I UNFORTUNATELY STARTED VERY YOUNG,TOO YOUNG,AND HAVE HAD A PROBLEM SINCE. I CAN MASTURBATE UP TO 10 TIMES A DAY AND IT IS REALLY AFFECTING MY LIFE. EVERYDAY I MAKE PROMISES TO MYSELF ABOUT STOPPING BUT CANT PULL THROUGH. I DO NOT HAVE A GIRLFRIEND AND AM STILL A VIRGIN AS I WOULD LIKE TO FIND THE RIGHT GIRL, SO SUBSTITUTING SEX FOR MASTURBATION IS NOT REALLY AN OPTION FOR ME. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS ANT SORT OF MEDICATION THAT EXISTS THAT WOULD REDUCE MY SEX DRIVE, AND NOT HAVE ME LUSTING AFTER EVERY GIRL I SEE?! THIS IS FAR TOO EMBARRASSING A TOPIC FOR ME TO APPROACH MY GP WITH. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE.
MANY THANKS
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:00 am

In most cases, masturbation is a normal, harmless sexual activity. Masturbation won't cause undo fatigue. Sex is not strenuous. It won't ruin the memory, shrink the penis, grow hair on the palms. However, it may become a symptom of illness if it becomes a form of compulsive sexual behavior. Compulsive masturbation in an older child can sometimes appear if the child is being sexually abused.

Although there is no simple rule about how much masturbation is too much, it is generally considered to be compulsive if masturbation is performed excessively, as in your case. Or it becomes time consuming and interferes with a person's daily routine, work or social functioning. If it continues despite no longer being pleasurable or gratifying, or if it places the individual at risk of physical harm, or has legal or personal consequences.

You should seek an appointment with a psychiatrist, psychologist or sex therapist. If no clear trigger for the behavior is found, some doctors will treat the patient with psychiatric medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). This family of drugs includes fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft) and paroxetine (Paxil).