Question: Penis swelling and erectile disfunction

REM - Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:25 pm

When i was 16 i was with a girl and i had an erection, she jumped on top of me, landing squarely on my penis, squishing it between her wieght and my leg. About 15 minutes later i noticed a large lump right underneath of the head of my penis. I immediatly went to see a doctor in the emergency room, and he said that the swelling would go down if i iced my penis and took some ibuprofen. I did that and the swelling went down, but after that i coudnt get a normal erection. So i continued about my life and about 6 months later i could get normal erections once again. But everytime i was with a girl and she would lay on top of me and put her weight on my groin area the swelling would reoccure, and this problem is continuing. But recently i was playing soccer and caught a knee right on the head of my penis. And now I can get an erection but it will only stay up for about 5 seconds before it starts going down, and i do not get erections in the morning any more....Please Help im scared to death that i will never have a normaly funtioning penis again. Some help and advice on the reoccuring swelling and the erectile disfuntion would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:28 am

Regarding the recurring swelling, you should have it looked at keeping in mind that the erect penis is more prone to injury than the flaccid one. Indeed one type of injury is sometimes referred to as 'fractured penis', even though there obviously is no bone in the penis.

Regarding your erectile dysfunction you need to be properly assessed.

A person complaining from erectile dysfunction needs to be assessed for the presence of endocrine disturbances, chronic diseases, cardiovascular disease, neurological disease and medications that cause ED all need to be excluded. Cigarette smoking and chronic alcoholism are major contributing factors.

Caution needs to be exercised when making the diagnosis of psychogenic ED, as both organic and psychogenic factors may co-exist.

Psychologic issues such as depression, anxiety are associated with erectile dysfunction in young males and manifest with an abrupt onset. The onset of ED maybe associated with an emotional event. Also in psychogenic ED other sexual functions are normal. If a man regularly experiences a firm morning erection yet also has ED then it is much more likely that psychological factors contribute to his problem. Sometimes patients report that they have experienced similar episodes with spontaneous resolution.