Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: vaginal sore but never had sex...WORRIED

SophieT - Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:42 am

I am 17 and have never had sex or sexual contact around my vagina. About two months ago I had a sore around my vagina, I popped it, it oozed then healed. Now I have another one. It's like a red bump under the skin. I am worried, I don't know what this could be and every sign point to herpes but i have never had sex or sexual contact so it can't be. If you could help me that would be great. thanks :? :?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:53 am

User avatar Hi!

Several possibilities could underlie your problem, but mostly benign, and hence free from worry. Folliculitis is the infection of the root of the hair. This could present as small bumps near the vagina, where there is hair. This could be painful.

Bartholin glands are small glands at the opening of the vagina that secrete fluid to moisten the inside of the vagina. These glands could become blocked at their openings, when they swell to be felt. Otherwise, these glands are small enough to be seen or felt. Once Bartholin glands get blocked, the fluid accumulates inside it to become a Bartholin cyst, which is mostly painless. If the fluid in a cyst gets infected it becomes an abscess called Bartholin abscess, which requires surgical drainage and a procedure called marsupilaization.

Otherwise, folliculitis could be treated from home using topical glycerin and bartholin cyst could be treated with daily sitz bath in warm (not hot) water (with or without salt added) for 10 minutes daily. If after these home treatments, if the bump doesn't seem to budge in a few days, or redness/discharge/pain/fever/lymph node enlargement comes by, it would be best to consult your doctor. In any case, there is no substitute for direct clinical examination.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

-Bill
 SophieT - Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:23 pm

:oops: :lol: Thank you, you have REALLY eased my worry. Thanks again!!!!!
~Sophie

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us