Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: lymph node, no worries?

agobeil - Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Hello. I'm a 22 year old female, and I noticed a little over two years ago a bump under my skin by my genitals. It's in the crease between my vagina and my right thigh. I don't know how long it's been there. I just sort of stumbled across it one day.
I asked my gynocologist about it right away, and she said that it was probably just a lymph node.
Since then, (about two years) it hasn't increase or decreased in size. It hasn't been painful. I wouldn't even know it was there if I didn't feel for it.
but it bugs me that I can feel a lymph node on one side but I can't feel it on the other. Are our bodies symmetrical? If I can feel it on one side shouldn't I be able to feel it on the other side, and if not is it possible that this could be something else like a cyst or ovarian cancer?
I'm convinced I'm dying and it' s probably making it worse.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:03 am

User avatar Hi agobeil,
Most commonly lymph nodes enlarge as a result of an infection because they are the bodies filtering system for bacteria/viruses. Their size may not return to their preinfectious state. Although lymph nodes are present in "symmetrical" areas, this does not necessarily mean that they enlarge in such a fashion. It was quite wise for you to bring this to the attention of your physician but in my opinion I would be much more concerned if there were continuing changes such as enlargement despite treatment etc. The fact that it has been present and unchanged for such an extended period of time would indicate that it is related to a benign or self limiting nature such as a past infection rather than being related to a cancerous condition.