Question: Penis Cancer

brandop - Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:05 am

I am a 25 year old male... I am un-curcumcised... I also have HPV. The person i got HPV from had got cervical cancer... i was wondering if anyone new the likely hood of getting penis cancer, and if have having an adult curcumcision can help prevent it... I know that penis cancer is rare however being un-curcumcised and having HPV are large risk factors... Any info would help
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:00 am

Penile cancer is very rare in Western countries, representing no more than 0.3% of male malignancies. It is more common in other areas of the world.

HPV-16 has been implicated in the development of penile cancer as well as the number of sexual partners. The use of tobacco products is an independent prognostic factor.

Penile cancer is strongly associated with phimosis and poor local hygiene. Neonatal circumcision virtually illiminates the occurance of penile cancer. On the other hand it is certain that adult circumcision does not provide protection against penile cancer.

Your best strategies for prevention would be the illimination of tobacco use and maintenance of good hygiene.

Best regrds.